Education Provision 1833

Buckingham Borough and Parish,
including the Hamlets of Bourton, Bourtonhold, Lenborough, Prebend-end Precinct, and the Chapelry of Gawcott (Pop. 3,610.)

Four Daily Schools; two whereof are endowed, and respectively contain 45 and 36 males:

The first with £15 per annum, for which 25 are educated;

The second, with a small stipend paid from the Exchequer, for the education of six children, the rest are paid for by their parents

In another, 12 males

And in the other (commenced 1832) 4 males and 27 females, are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Read more: Education Provision 1833

Extract from the Universal British Directory 1791

Is the county-town; it is situated in a valley, on a dry gravelly soil, surrounded on all sides, except the North by the Ouze, over which it has three stone bridges. It is distant 57 miles North West of London, and is bounded on the West by Tingwick and Ratclifte, North by Moreton, North East by Thornborough, East by Padbury, and South by Hillesden and- Preston. It contains about 3800 acres, whereof 1600 are reputed to be in Lemborough Endship, 500 in Gawcott, 1200 Bourton and 500 in the borough part of the town; it is assessed to the land tax at 613l 5d. The number of families in the whole parish is supposed to be 540 and the vicarage is about the value of 100l, per annum.

 
 

Register to read more...

Notes on Buckingham

Description and notes on the town of Buckingham

Register to read more...