About a mile across the fields from Seer Green lies the village of Jordans which takes its name from 'Old Jordans', the farm where Quaker farmers lived in the 17th century.
Jordans village originated when some land became available in 1915-16. A small number of members of the Society of Friends (Quakers) saw an opportunity to establish a village and community where artisans and others could apply their skills for the benefit of the community. Jordans Village Industries was formed, but alas, was not a successful venture and went into voluntary liquidation in 1923.

The village was designed to surround a green; building began in 1919 and commemorative bricks were laid under the first house on February 15 th of that year, and on the nearest Friday to that date, a great supper is held, attended by as many of the tenants as possible. Building continued until 1923, by which time cottages were built round the Green and a number of single houses, all of which are rented on monthly tenancies. The management of the village estate is vested in a committee of 12 members — eight elected by shareholders, three from what is called Tenant Members Committee and one from the Society of Friends.
The Old Jordans farm house was bought by the Society of Friends and is now run as a Guest House and Conference Centre. In the grounds is the Mayflower Barn, reputed to be built of the timbers of the Mayflower which carried the Pilgrim Fathers to America. This barn is used in the summer for concerts and many other events.

On the road to Beaconsfield is the Friends Meeting House, built in 1688. In the graveyard, among many other early Quakers, lies the remains of William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania.

In the inevitable progress brought about by time, the nature of the village has modified, though much of the old spirit remains, and during the course of the year, many visitors come to visit the historic Meeting House and enjoy the lovely countryside around.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Additional information