Dorney

In the very south of the county lies the village of Dorney, bounded by the river Thames, which used to flood the surrounding farmlands, turing it into an island. The manor of Dorney is named in the Domesday Book and was famous for its honey — hence the derivation of its name from the Saxon 'Island of Bees'.

Read more: Dorney

Education Provision 1833

Dorney Parish (Pop. 268)

Two Daily Schools,
one (commenced 1826) contains 20 males and 30 females ;
the other (commenced 1827), 17 of both sexes; supported by subscription and small payments from the children.

Read more: Education Provision 1833

Notes on Dorney

Description of Dorney from Sheahan, 1861.

Register to read more...

Additional information