Drayton Parslow

Introduction

Church: Holy Trinity

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 1750

Easting & Northing: 483228

Grid Ref SP830280 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Drayton Parslow PARISH Holy Trinity
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Chapel Lane. First Mentioned: 1830
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1847

 

Links

Links

Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial
Victoria County History Victoria County History
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass
Search The National Archives for Drayton+Parslow Search The National Archives for Drayton Parslow
Village Site

 Photographs

Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 307
1811 287
1821 372
1831 416
1841 526
1851 490
1861 468
1871 479
1881 473
1891 425
1901 369
1911 333
1921 290
1931 313
1941 N/A
1951 483
1961 406
1971 399
1981 440
1991 538

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Drayton Parslow   Holy Trinity   Baptisms   1559   1868   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Drayton Parslow   Holy Trinity   Marriages   1559   1904   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Drayton Parslow   Holy Trinity   Burials   1559   1898   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 ROGERS BATES KIRK BATES
2 BULL WILLISON BATES KIRK
3 CHANDLER HALL WALDUCK WALDUCK
4 TAYLER BULL STONE STONE
5 PEARSE WELLS TATTAM WILLISON
6 LANE KIRK HIGGS TATTAM
7 THORNTON LORD JACKMAN HIGGS
8 COUKE WALDUCK VICCARS BULL
9 COOKE CUTLER PITKIN JACKMAN
10 HAUKENS FENN MEAD VICCARS

 

description

Description of Drayton Parslow from Sheahan, 1861.

Area, 1,680 acres; population, 468 souls; rateable value, £1,424. The soil is clay and sand, with various loams. The females are employed at straw-plaiting. The village lies 5 miles E. by N. from Winslow, 7 N.W. from Leighton Buzzard, and 5 miles S.W. from Bletchley Railway Station. The situation, on an eminence, is pleasing, and the one long street, of which it is chiefly composed, consists mostly of ancient farm and cottage residences, built of brick and timber, with thatched roofs; but during the last three or four years, several good brick and tile residences have been erected.

The manor house, occupied by a farmer, stands on high ground near the church, and is a large brick building with a double roof and clustered chiminies.

Memories

Before the Second World War, Drayton Parslow had a population of about 300, electricity but no mains water, no main sewer, or street lighting. There was a small shop, a post office and two pubs.

Apart from the half-dozen farms in the parish there were a number of smallholdings and most families had one or more allotments on which they not only grew vegetables but also kept hens. The main sources of employment were agriculture, the brick-works at Newton Longville and the railway at Bletchley.
The biggest landowner was Lord Carrington who allowed a piece of land to be used as a recreation ground which in the summer was home to a thriving and successful cricket team.

Today the population of Drayton Parslow has risen to about 400 and it is still growing. Because of its proximity to Milton Keynes many of the residents work there and some commute to London daily.

On the outskirts of the village is an assortment of buildings which are rapidly becoming derelict. It was known for many years as 'The Camp' and was erected during the Second World War as an extension of the now famous Bletchley Park. It has been altered and extended over the years and used as a prisoner-of-war camp, a hostel for displaced persons working at the brickyard, and Admiralty medical records office and finally a residential training college for Post Office and British Telecom engineers. Drayton Parslow has never had a resident squire and a former villager once remarked that 'every man was his own gaffer' and this is as true today as it was then!

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission


Education

Drayton Parslow Parish (Pop. 416)

One Daily School, containing 18 males and 4 females, whose instruction is paid for by the parents.

Three Sunday Schools,
one consists of 35 males;
another (commenced 1827), 49 males, (both are of the Established Church);
the other a Baptist School, consists of 26 males and 15 females.

The first Sunday School is supported by a salary of £6 10s. per annum, paid from the parish funds; the other two by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.