Memories of the Claydons

Schooling in the Claydons in the old days was basic but thorough. Most pupils finished education at 14 when they left the village school; only one of Claydons pupils per year was awarded a place at the Latin School in Buckingham, with likely candidates getting two chances to sit the exams at eleven to twelve years old. However, some parents thought it was "not worth educating a girl" so didn't allow them to sit the exams anyway.
In the very early days pre 1900 the village boys over seven years attended the Park School in Middle Claydon, which meant a walk of two to three miles for the majority of pupils who lived in East and Botolph Claydon. Girls apparently were not catered for at all. If a recalcitrant pupil could not be thrashed by the headmaster the village policeman was sent for! When the East Claydon school was built (1900) the Park School closed and the building was put to use as a library.

The East Claydon school was a traditional Victorian village school which taught up to Standard Seven. Classes were defined by age range, and the same teacher taught that class all subjects. The only relief from this was the month long spell during which older pupils were sent to special classroom facilities at Quainton to do Domestic Science or Woodwork.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "Buckinghamshire Within Living Memory" (1993) and reproduced here with their permission

Additional information