Ellesborough

Ellesborough is beautiful. The church of St Peter and St Paul, rising on its own hillock from the flat vale of Aylesbury, is set against a backcloth of hills. Beacon Hill and Coombe Hill rise above it. The focal point on the latter, the South African War Memorial, is visible for many miles.
It is a favourite place for locals and the view is breath-taking. From there, Chequers, the country home of Britain's Prime Ministers, can be glimpsed. It is in Ellesborough parish, and many Prime Ministers and visiting notables have attended the church services.

The friendly church ghost is said to be the Rev. Robert Wallis, rector of Ellesborough before the Civil War. He was seen on the path up to the church by the present rector not long ago.

The almhouses opposite the church are set in a colourful garden which is tended by the inhabitants. The building is known as 'Lady Dodd's Cottages'.
Down the steep hill is Ellesborough Manor, which has been a home for retired clergy, their wives and widows since 1950.
At St Peter's Cottage there is an aviary of beautiful white doves and down the first lane off the B4010 Mr Will Thomson breeds and delights in prize-winning pigeons. This lane leads to Springs, a fine house, 16th century with Edwardian additions. Immediately below a sheer drop in the lawn, four springs dramatically form the source of the stream called Bonnybrook.

A chain of ponds follow, the last of these being Ellesborough mill pond. The Mill was burnt down by a tramp in 1937.
Further down the Upper Icknield Way is Butlers Cross. This is the hub of the village. The much used Ellesborough village hall, the Russell Arms (the only public house) and the shop and post office are all here. The village hall, built in 1910 by public subscription, is a hive of activity.


Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission