Emberton

The village of Emberton in north Buckinghamshire lies on the southern edge of the wide, lush water meadows through which the Great Ouse winds. The old coach road from Newport Pagnell used to swing between its fine stone houses and past its clock tower before setting off across the causeway and bridge into Olney.

Read more: Emberton

Memories of Emberton


Emberton Emberton is a small village situated in the north of the county, one and a half miles from Olney, with a square Clock Tower standing in the centre, in which a bell was tolled to call to the men working in the fields.
There was until recently a blacksmith's forge-always very busy shoeing horses for hunting, working on farms and drawing traps. A four-wheeled 'fly', driven by Arther Brown, met all trains arriving at Olney Station—now closed.

Read more: Memories of Emberton

Education Provision 1833

Emberton with Okeney-cum-Petsoe Parish (Pop. 598)

One Day and Sunday School, attended by 70 children of both sexes daily, and 30 in addition on Sundays; supported by voluntary contributions, and has a lending Library.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Notes on Emberton

Description of Emberton from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 

Register to read more...