Grendon Underwood

Grendon Underwood lies between the Roman road of Akeman Street and the ancient Bernwode Forest from which it derives its name. Part of the woods are still there and muntjac or barking deer are to be seen, and in the wet oak and hazel woods, primroses and cowslips abound. From the 16th century, the village was a stopping place on the road between Warwickshire and London. 'Grendon Underwood, The dirtiest town that ever stood'. No doubt the state of the roads gave rise to this rhyme that has been handed down through generations.

Read more: Grendon Underwood

Education Provision 1833

Grendon Underwood Parish (Pop. 379)

Four Daily Schools,

One of which contains 8 males, supported by a small endowment.

The other 3 contain 12 males and 12 females, who are instructed at the expense of their parents, excepting 4 girls who receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Notes on Grendon Underwood

Description of Grendon Underwood from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 

Register to read more...

Additional information