Grove

Introduction

Church: St Michael and All Angels

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Leighton Buzzard

Size (acres): 437

Easting & Northing: 491222

Grid Ref SP910220 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Grove PARISH St Michael and All Angels
Langrave NAMES name for Grove in Domesday Book in 1086

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 25
1811 33
1821 18
1831 21
1841 25
1851 38
1861 19
1871 23
1881 17
1891 19
1901 19
1911 30
1921 19
1931 29
1941 N/A
1951 28
1961 12
1971 15
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Grove   St Michael & All Angels   Baptisms   1576   1967   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Grove   St Michael & All Angels   Marriages   1606   1956   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Grove   St Michael & All Angels   Burials   1577   1963   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 BUNKER WATERS WATERS WATERS
2 WATERS SYMONS DRAPER DRAPER
3 NEWLAND NEWLAND HUMPHREY SYMONS
4 DAGNALL SYMONDS SEAR NEWLAND
5 BALENGER FOX RICKARD SYMONDS
6 WALKER WRIGHT ARNOLD HUMPHREY
7 PHILIPS RICHARDS CHERRY FOX
8 PARRATT WALTER GOODSON WRIGHT
9 HYDE SHACKLEY BIRCH WALTER
10 HALLY WALTERS WARREN RICHARDS

Notes

Description of Grove from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

This is a very small parish on the borders of Bedfordshire, two miles south from Leighton Buzzard, and containing only 210 acres, according to the census return of 1851. One farm house, and two cottages are the whole of the residences. Population 19 souls. The Grand Junction Canal, and London and North-Western Railway pass through the parish. The soil is chiefly clay. There is an ancient mill here, situated on the river Ouse.

The Living, a discharged rectory, is valued in the King' Books at £4 13s 4d. and was held with Wing, after the manor came to the Dormers. In 1650, it was returned as a Chapel to Mentmore, and of the annual value of only £11. It was afterwards augmented by the Bounty of Queen Anne, and in 1787, Anne, Baroness Godolphin, endowed it with a yearly rent-charge of £8. Ist present value is £68 per annum. Patron Lord Overtsone.

Education

Grove Parish (Pop. 21)

No School in the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Additional information