Great Brickhill

The name of the village is probably derived from a combination of the Celtic 'Bryh' (hill) and the Anglo-Saxon 'Hylle' (hilltop), although evidence has been found of much earlier Roman and Bronze Age settlements. The village is situated on a ridge, lying on a bed of Greensand and Oxford Clay, the highest point being 500 feet. Consequently, it has panoramic views from all sides over the surrounding farms and woodland and, in turn, can be seen from many distant villages.

Register to read more...

Education Provision 1833

Great Brickhill Parish (Pop. 776)

Three Infant Schools, in which are 17 males and 24 females.

Read more: Education Provision 1833

Notes on Great Brickhill

Description of Great Brickhill from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 

Register to read more...

Additional information