Great Horwood

Introduction

Church: St James

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 3271

Easting & Northing: 477231

Grid Ref SP770310 Click to see map

Names

 Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Great Horwood PARISH St James
Harwod NAMES name for Horwood in 1509
Harwood NAMES name for Horwood in 1766
Hereworde NAMES name for Horwood Domesday Book in 1086
Herwood NAMES name for Horwood in 1535
Horroda NAMES name for Horwood in 1512
Rodymore Hill NAMES name for Roddimore in 1756
Shinglesborough NAMES name for Singleborough in 1510
Shucklow NAMES name for Warren Farm in 1766
Shucklow Warren NAMES name for Warren Farm in 1826
Sincleberia NAMES name for Singleborough in Domesday Book in 1086
Synkleborow NAMES name for Singleborough in 1520
Congregational NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1819
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1875
Greenway Farm PLACE within the parish
Norbury Coppice PLACE within the parish
Roddimore (Fm) PLACE within the parish
Singleborough PLACE within the parish
Six Lords Inn PLACE within the parish
Warren Farm PLACE within the parish

 

Lnks

Links

 

Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial
Victoria County History Victoria County History
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass
Search The National Archives for Great+Horwood Search The National Archives for Great Horwood

Photographs

 

Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 537
1811 581
1821 688
1831 720
1841 712
1851 834
1861 846
1871 866
1881 712
1891 639
1901 554
1911 584
1921 509
1931 526
1941 N/A
1951 715
1961 596
1971 1047
1981 973
1991 980

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Great Horwood   St James   Baptisms   1600   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Great Horwood   St James   Marriages   1591   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Great Horwood   St James   Burials   1599   1862   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 VARNEY HARRUP MARKS KING
2 COOPER KING KING MARKS
3 DURRANT COOPER RIDGWAY RIDGWAY
4 CARTER VERNEY VICCARS HARRUP
5 HOBBS BRADBURY HARRUP VARNEY
6 FOSKETT HOBBS HALL HOBBS
7 SEARE BRADBERY SMITH COOPER
8 KING SHORT MUNDAY BRADBURY
9 BUTCHER CARTER YOUNG VICCARS
10 FOSKET WILLIATT JONES HALL

 

description

As early as 792 A.D. there is a reference to '10 dwellings in the wood called Horwudu'.
Our church of St James is of Norman origin being rather special in the fact that the tower is topped by a Norman 'helmet'.

During the Second World War years we have an airfield here and the village would vibrate to the sound of the engines of the Wellingtons warming up for take-off. All the R.A.F. quarters were at the back of the village away from the High Street. When the war ended we were allowed onto the Camp as it was called, to go to the cinema. Children were allowed in if accompanied by an R.A.F. person and we could sit on the floor in front of the chairs for 6d. or sit on a chair for 9d. The week Tokio Joe was shown it was packed houses and every time a Jap plane was shot out of the sky, the cheering by R.A.F. personnel and village children alike could be heard in Winslow.

Now the camp is a housing estate. The airfield is still there but is owned by a large consortium of well-known farmers and the fields between the runways are grazing for sheep and beef cattle. Intensive pig and poultry farming is also carried out.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Notes


 Description of Great Horwood from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Great Horwood, Horwood Magna, or Horwood-cum-Singleborough,contains altogether 3,109 acres, and 834 souls; of which 2,389 acres and 725 souls, belong to Horwood, and 720 acres and 130 persons to the hamlet of Singleborough. The rateable value of the entire parish is £3,866. The soil is a deep clay, intermixed with sand. There are about 200 acres of wood-land.
The village, which is large, and well and regularly built, forms one principal street, with an open space, called the Green, about its centre, in which a market was formerly held. It is situated on an eminence, on the verge of Whaddon Chase, 2.5 miles N. from Winslow, and 6 miles S.E. from Buckingham. The common fields of Horwood were inclosed under an Act passed in 1841.

Education

Great Horwood Parish (Pop. 610)

Three Daily Schools;

One contains 26 males, supported by subscription

The other two, 26 males and 8 females, who are instructed at the expense of their parents

Two Sunday Schools

In one of which are 29 males and 40 females (commenced 1821), who attend the Established Church

The other appertains to Independent Dissenters (commenced 1819), and consists of 38 males and 57 females, both supported by voluntary contributions.

Singleborough Hamlet (Pop. 110)

One Daily School (commenced 1829) in which 4 males and 10 females are instructed at the expense of their parent

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Additional information