The Kimbles

Cymbeline's Mount, high in the hills in Chequer's land, was the stronghold of the British King Cunabelin or Cymbeline, from whom Great and Little Kimble derive their names. A gold coin depicting him was found here. Relics indicate that there was a Romano British village, a Roman villa and a Neolithic hill camp in Kimble hills.

Read more: The Kimbles

Education Provision 1833

Great Kimble Parish (Pop. 436)

Two Day and Sunday National Schools; one is attended by 20 females daily, and 50 on Sundays ; the other (lately commenced), by 20 males daily, and 25 on Sundays; these Schools are supported by subscription, aided by weekly payments from the children.

There is also a School, in which about 20 children are taught lace-making.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Notes on Great Kimble

Description of Great Kimble from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 

Register to read more...