Great Linford

Great Linford village, with its 12th century church and 17th century manor house, is now part of the new city of Milton Keynes, but still retains its village atmosphere.
The original village green remains, also a cricket pitch and several landscaped areas, all linked by the redways (pedestrian and cyclist paths) and bridleways, surrounded by trees, shrubs and great banks of roses.

The village church is of great interest. Apparently there was a chapel at Linford, on this site, in 1151. The church tower is 12th century with various additions and alterations since. The 17th century manor house was formerly owned by the Pritchard family. Sir William was a Lord Mayor of London and he also built the almshouses which are very attractive and now house various offices. The manor is now owned by Milton Keynes Development Association and has been used as an arts centre. Some of the manor out-buildings have been converted into a community workshop and a hall where various activities and functions take place.

Linford Lodge Hotel and riding stables also remain as part of the original village, now surrounded by new houses, and serve the community as hotel and a centre for young and old to learn to ride on the many paths in the locality.

The canal runs to the north of Great Linford. It is quite widely used by barges, canal buses, the fishermen and busy families of moorhens. The towpaths have been cleared and it is pleasant to walk along them.

It is hard to believe that this lovely village is within a ten minute ride of the biggest indoor shopping centre in England at Milton Keynes.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Additional information