Hazlemere

Hazlemere, situated on the outskirts of High Wycombe could once have been called Hazlemoor as this name appears on old photographs on the wall of the post office.
Deadman Dane Bottom was the name given to a deep ravine in Hazlemere running at right angles to the high road from High Wycombe to Amersham and now known as Eastern Dene. It was part of a wild moorland called Wycombe Heath.

There were very few houses in Hazlemere before the First World War. The scientist, Sir William Ramsey lived at Beechcroft on the main road. He won the Nobel Prize for chemistry in 1904 and was the discoverer of Argon and other gases. Later Beechcroft's name was changed to Tylers Wood and became a Royal Grammar School boarding house.

The Misses Carter, two ladies from High Wycombe concerned about the children in the area, founded a school somewhere between 1835—1840. This is thought to have been a 'dame school' in a building near Giles farm, now part of a huge housing estate. A few years later in 1845, largely through their energy and determination, they had a church built in the area and dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
In 1847 Hazlemere Church School was built and for over 100 years was the only school in the district. Pupils came from far and near and some came through Kingswood from Totteridge bringing their sandwiches for midday. In the old log book 1900—1910 it is recorded that fees for pupils at the school went up from one penny to tuppence a week. Work was disrupted by parents who came to the school to protest that they could not afford the extra penny. The headmistress had to send for the vicar to reason with the parents.

Since the Second World War Hazlemere has grown very quickly. There are now big private housing estates, many shops and an 18 hole golf course in the area.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Additional information