Extract from the Universal British Directory 1791

HIGH WYCOMB is also called Chipping Wycomb, from cwm, a British word for valley. It is a large town, consisting of one great street, branching out into divers small ones It is full of good houses and inns, being a great thoroughfare from London to Oxford. It is twelve miles from Aylesbury, fourteen from Uxbridge, and thirtv three from London ; and has a market on Fridays which is plentifully supplied with fish, flesh, and other provisions. Fair 25th September. It is seated on a small river which fall into the Thames, in a fine valley.

Register to read more...

Additional information