Ickford is a small village surrounded by pasture grazing for cattle, sheep and horses.
The River Thame is the boundary between Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire, and every August since the Queen's Coronation in 1953 there has been a tug of war between Tiddington in Oxfordshire and Ickford in Buckinghamshire, over the river. One team, if not both, end up in the river! People from both villages come to watch the pull and make it a fun evening.

We have two public houses, The Royal Oak, and The Rising Sun. They are well known in the village as good meeting places and both are old country landmarks.
We have a lovely Village Hall, built by the men and women of Ickford. Lots of hard work went into this hall and it is used by many village societies.
Ickford has a lovely old church, dedicated to St Nicholas. The date of the first church here is not known but it was probably of wooden structure built in Saxon times.

The earliest part of the present church is the chancel, the centre aisle of the nave and lower part of the tower date from about 1170 to 1190. Ickford church escaped the wholesale restoration inflicted on so many medieval parish churches in the 19th century. In this case, poverty proved a blessing! Between 1902-1911, it was sensitively and carefully restored under the direction of Mr Oldrid Scott, who managed to preserve most of the genuine medieval features.
Gilbert Sheldon (1598 to 1677) was Rector of Ickford and later became Archbishop of Canterbury, from 1663 to 1677. He gave a lovely chalice and platter, which we have on show at Christ Church, Oxford, as we thought it better to let people see how lovely it is.

This is a happy and caring village with a mixture of new and old houses. We have young families and elderly folk all enjoying village life.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission