Latimer is in the beautiful valley of the river Chess. The village is centred round a small triangular green, although the parish extends several miles in a mainly northerly direction.
The history of the village dates back to Roman times and there are the buried remains of a building thought to be about 80 AD.
The first mention of a mansion at Latimer is in 1194. In the 19th century it became the property of Charles Compton Cavendish who, in 1858 became Lord Chesham of Chesham.

In 1939 Latimer House was requisitioned by the government and used as an interrogation centre for German and Italian prisoners of war. At the end of hostilities and after the property had remained empty for nearly a year, a college for the joint services was founded. In 1983 this college was moved to Greenwich.

On the village green is the pump which supplied water to the residents until about 50 years ago, when the water company laid on a main supply; one tap per household.

Also on the green is an unusual obelisk in honour of local men who fought in the Boer War. By the side of this memorial is a stone mound bearing plaques with the following 'The horse ridden by General de Villebois Mareuil at the Battle of Boshof, S. Africa, 5th. April 1900 in which the General was killed and the horse wounded'. On the other side the inscription reads 'Villebois, Brought to England by Major General Lord Chesham KCB in 1900. Died 5th. Feb. 1911.' These features arouse great interest in the many visitors who admire the village of Latimer set in the most beautiful countryside of Buckinghamshire.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission