Nether Winchendon

The village is largely unchanged from its 19th century appearance with few modern buildings and many ancient timber-framed houses, and some of the typical local construction of witchert, an unbaked limestone clay mixture. Many retain the ochre colour traditional in the village. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book and for many centuries belonged to the Abbey at Notley close by Thame. Some of the cottages still standing are believed to have been lodging houses for the monks.

The church is largely of the decorated period with evidence of earlier origin. The church clock was installed in 1772 by the generosity of Mrs Jane Beresford, Lady of the Manor. It is unusual in having only one hand. The bells were rehung in 1979 and are enthusiastically rung every week. The excellent condition of the church reflects the generosity of the Spencer Bernard family and the efforts of the villagers.

The village passed from the ownership of Notley Abbey at the Dissolution of the Monasteries to the Denny family, part of whose house, it is believed, is incorporated in the Manor Farm House. The seat of the present owners, the Spencer Bernard family is Winchendon House, a pretty Elizabethan manor house with interesting additions from the Gothic revival of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Members of the Spencer Bernard family have been in residence continuously since the late 18th century.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission