Little Brickhill

This village is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The Norman name of the village was Bryhulle, which in time became Brickhull, and eventually Brickhill. There is no connection in the name with the manufacture of making bricks. In medieval times the village was connected with the making of encaustic tiles. In the grounds of the present Grange ancient flues and ovens were discovered. The works are attributed to the 13th and 14th centuries and are monastic, being the work of the brethren of the great Abbey at Woburn.

Read more: Little Brickhill

Education Provision 1833

Little Brickhill Parish (Pop. 614)

Four Daily Schools.

One of which contains 8 males, supported by an endowment.

Another, 14 females, supported by Lady Rose; this School.is also open on Sundays.

Read more: Education Provision 1833

Notes on Little Brickhill

Description of Little Brickhill from J. J. Sheahan, 1861

Register to read more...

Additional information