Middle Clayton

Our village has no actual centre as such, but covers a large area, with a population of approximately 150. At one extremity we have Verney Junction, a handful of cottages which once housed railway employees, and a public house. The railway was axed by Beeching in 1967. There is one large house, probably an ex-farmhouse.

Read more: Middle Clayton

Education Provision 1833

Middle Claydon Parish (Pop. 136)

One Daily School (commenced 1827), in which are 60 males and 30 females (many from other parishes;) supported by Sir Harry Verney, and penny weekly payments from the children;

Sunday School, for this and the parish of East Claydon, wherein 100 children receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Notes on Middle Claydon

Description of Middle Claydon from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

Register to read more...