Monks Risborough

The village of Monks Risborough derives its name from the scrub or 'hris', which once covered the hills, and the prefix from the Monks of Dorchester on Thames to whom the land was given in 993 AD by the Archbishop of Canterbury, in repayment of a loan.

Read more: Monks Risborough

Education Provision 1833

Monks Risborough Parish (Pop. 1,018)

One Daily School, in which 20 males are instructed at the expense of their parents;

About 60 females are also taught lace-making in three or four small Schools kept by women.

Two Sunday Schools, appertaining to Baptists (commenced 1826 and 1827), wherein 63 males and 70 females receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Notes on Monks Risborough

Description of Monks Risborough from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

Register to read more...