Newton Longville

Although there is evidence of early occupation the recorded history of the village does not begin until the invasion of England by William the Conqueror. Walter de Giffard had provided ships and had also been the sword arm of the Conqueror. He was given much land which included Newton Longville. Walter de Giffard was the founder member of the abbey of Santa Foy in Longueville in Normandy. Before he died in 1104 he endowed the abbey with his land in Buckinghamshire to his son, also named Walter de Giffard. He was to found an alien priory or cell in Neutone subordinate to the abbey in Longueville on condition that the prior would send monks to Neutone to build a church and teach the inhabitants of the village. The name Longueville was added then. A pension of £l.6.9d was ordered to be paid to the abbey in Longueville by the priory at Neutone. After the suppression of the priory this was paid to New College, Oxford and is paid to the present day.

Read more: Newton Longville

Education Provision 1833

Newton Longville Parish (Pop. 473)

One Sunday School, consisting of 38 males and 43 females, supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Notes on Newton Longville

Newton Longville - Description from J.J Sheahan, 1861.

Register to read more...