Newton Longville

Although there is evidence of early occupation the recorded history of the village does not begin until the invasion of England by William the Conqueror. Walter de Giffard had provided ships and had also been the sword arm of the Conqueror. He was given much land which included Newton Longville. Walter de Giffard was the founder member of the abbey of Santa Foy in Longueville in Normandy. Before he died in 1104 he endowed the abbey with his land in Buckinghamshire to his son, also named Walter de Giffard. He was to found an alien priory or cell in Neutone subordinate to the abbey in Longueville on condition that the prior would send monks to Neutone to build a church and teach the inhabitants of the village. The name Longueville was added then. A pension of £l.6.9d was ordered to be paid to the abbey in Longueville by the priory at Neutone. After the suppression of the priory this was paid to New College, Oxford and is paid to the present day.
Our village was once very small. In 1841 there were 110 houses with a population of 475 and 7 ale houses. The industry then was farming with lace making and plait. Now our village is large with a population of about 2,500. We have a flourishing brickyard and because of our nearness to the railway, many villagers are able to commute each day. With this expansion, most of our ancient buildings have gone. We regret losing our blacksmith's shop which was 800 years old. We had a dove cote which was the only timbered one in the county, and old thatched houses, but with progress we now have water from taps instead of pumps and wells, and gas and electricity instead of open fires, street lights and buses. Memories of the old village are sweet and still remain with many old inhabitants.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Additional information