Oakley

Oakley is a small village of some 1300 inhabitants, situated at the foot of Brill hill between Thame and Bicester on the B4011. Many years ago it was almost surrounded by woodland and forests which were used by royalty to hunt wild boar - hence the name Boarstall, our adjoining village, from as early as Saxon times. Oakley is mentioned in the Domesday Book as 'Acheleia' and later records call it 'Ockley'.

Read more: Oakley

Education Provision 1833

Oakley Parish (Pop. 413)

Two Sunday Schools; one with 40 males and 25 females,
who attend the Established Church; the other consists of 5 males and 23 females, appertaining to Baptists; in both, the children receive gratuitous instruction;

There are also Five Lace Schools, consisting of 16 males and 41 females who are also taught to read.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Notes on Oakley

Description of Oakley from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Register to read more...