Pitstone

Pitstone was a very small village until the advent of the Tunnel Cement Company in the late 1940s. The company quarries chalk from land to the south west of the village and uses it in the manufacture of cement. This provided employment and more houses were soon needed to house the influx of cement workers.

Read more: Pitstone

Education Provision 1833

Pitstone Parish (Pop. 436)

Two Sunday Schools, both supported by voluntary contributions; in one are 55 children of both sexes, who attend the Established Church; the other (commenced 1833) appertains to Methodists, and consists of 8 children; most of the above children attend a straw-plait School during the week, and are taught to read at the expense of their parents.

Read more: Education Provision 1833

Notes on Pitstone

Description of Pitstone from J.J.Sheahan, 1861.

Register to read more...

Additional information