Quainton

Situated on the southern flank of hills, the centre of the village is the green with its stone cross which is thought was a preaching cross erected in Saxon times before the church was built. A prominent feature is the windmill designed and built by a local man, James Anstiss, in 1830—2. It was built without scaffolding from the inside, floor by floor, with clay bricks baked nearby, and the sails were driven by an engine. It has been unused since 1881, but is now gradually being restored.

Read more: Quainton

Notes on Quainton

Description of Quainton from J.J. Sheahan, 1861

 

Register to read more...

Education Provision 1833

Quainton Parish, including Doddershall and Dereham (Pop. 952)

One Daily School, containing from 30 to 80 males, varying according to the season of the year, and the demand for labour; endowed with a small yearly sum, which, with some aid from the parish funds, all poor boys receive gratuitous instruction; the sons of farmers and tradesmen are paid for by their parents.-

Read more: Education Provision 1833