Slapton

Within living memory Slapton was a self contained village with three farms, a brickyard, church and chapel, school, shop, mill, a blacksmith, cobbler, baker and brewer. The rector lived in a gracious house set in large grounds.

Read more: Slapton

Notes on Slapton

Description of Slapton, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Register to read more...

Education Provision 1833

Slapton Parish (Pop. 360)

Two Sunday Schools, one with 30 males and 18 females, who attend the Established Church; the other (commenced about 1818), 28 males and 35 females, attached to Wesleyan Methodists; both supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.