Soulbury

Soulbury overlooks the Ouzel Valley and consists of several half-timbered and thatched houses around a green, and an attractive church dating back to the 14th century. The village comprises of some 210 houses at present, the most notable of these being Lovetts Charity School House, built in 1724. There are two manor houses in the parish of Soulbury, Chelms-cote Manor and Liscombe Park. Liscombe Park which is large and rambling and was built in the 16th century is set behind imposing gates on the Soulbury-Leighton Buzzard road. The Lovetts, who used to be Lords of the Manor here have a fine memorial in the Parish Church.

Robert Lovett left to the poor of Soulbury the sum of £300.00. This amounted to £540.00 when interest was added and was used to teach twenty four boys and girls a trade. The interest is now divided among the children of the village aged 12 and 18 who are in full time education to cover the costs of uniform, tuition and travel.

Soulbury used to be a farming community with the little hamlet of Hollingdon close by. However, over recent decades it has gradually become more of a commuter suburb with many residents working in London and the evergrowing Milton Keynes.

Traffic is an increasing problem in the village as many pass this way to get to Milton Keynes. A planned by-pass around Leighton Buzzard, the nearest big town, should alleviate the problem when eventually built.

Soulbury does not have ghosts and headless horsemen, but has a stone situated on Chapel Hill which is reputed to roll down Chapel Hill every night when it hears the clock strike 12 o'clock.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission