Notes on Stantonbury


Description of Stantonbury, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

The old parish of Stantonbarry, or Stantonbury, contained but 750 acres, and about half a dozen scattered houses. But by an Order in Council, dated July 16th, 1857, a new parish was formed by adding to the old one a portion of Bradwell. The area of the newly-formed parish is 904 acres.

The Living, a Discharged Vicarage, is rated in the King's Books art £7 6s. 8d., and now worth, in gross, £87 per annum, with a house and two acres of land. The present Vicar is the Rev. Charles Purcell Cotter. In ancient times the advowson belonged to the Priory of Goring. The patronage is now vested in Earl Spencer. The united benefice is styled in the Order in Council “The Vicarage of Stantonbury-with-New-Bradwell”

A new Parsonage House has been erected, nearly a quarter of a mile from the new church. It is a handsome Gothic building of red brick.

The schools, for boys, girls, and infants, will afford accommodation to 400 children. The school buildings are extensive and commodious, and include dwellings for the teachers.

The Baptist Chapel, at New Bradwell, is a neat edifice, of red brick, built by subscription, at a cost of £360 – several persons giving their labour gratuitously. Adjoining it is a school (in connexion with the congregation), at which about 80 children attend.


Stantonbury Parish (Pop. 51)

No School in the parish.


Additional information