Stewkley

Stewkley in the Vale of Aylesbury is the longest village in England, one mile either side of our beautiful and most unspoilt Norman church, St Michaels, which dates back to 1150. This division was known as 'Up-Town' (north) and 'Down Town' (south) and friendly rivalry existed between the two.

Read more: Stewkley

Notes on Stewkley

Description of Stewkley, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Register to read more...

Education Provision 1833

Stewkley Parish (Pop. 1,053)

One small Daily School, containing 9 children, who are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Two Sunday Schools, one with 128 children of both sexes, who attend the Established Church ; the other 44 appertaining to Dissenters; both supported gratuitously.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

The Enclosure Act 1811

The following is an extract from the book S, Michael's Church, Stewkley, Bucks by the Rev J. E. Smith-Masters, M.A. which was published in 1908.

"In the fifty-first year of the reign of George III., on 14th May, 1811, was passed the Act of Parliament for inclosing lands in the parish of Stewkley.

Register to read more...

Additional information