Stoke Poges

Stoke Poges is situated between Slough and Gerrards Cross. It is an area made up of several scattered hamlets and comprises estates, woodlands and common land.

Read more: Stoke Poges

Notes on Stoke Poges

Description of Stoke Poges, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Register to read more...

Memories of Stoke Poges

The school in School Lane was originally the school for the boys and the girls of Stoke Poges and Wexham. It was a Board School, built in the 1870's, and replaced the old school in Rogers Lane. It was three schools in one, an infants for all up to the age of seven, and for above that age two segregated schools for boys and girls.
Some children went to school when they were only three years old; many left at the age of ten and when they left school the girls usually went into service. There was nothing else for them to do. School was not free. The children each paid one penny a week. Corporal punishment was administered where and when necessary. One little girl was taken into the cloakroom and soundly spanked by teacher because she said she did not want to go to school. That little girl is now eighty-five years old and it is her most vivid recollection of her school days.

Read more: Memories of Stoke Poges

Education Provision 1833

Stoke Poges Parish, with part of Slough (Pop. 1,252)

Six Daily Schools, one contains 64 children, endowed with ú30 per annum and a school-house, for which 30 males and 10 females are instructed; 10 others are paid for by the parish, the rest by their parents; two others respectively contain 27 and 18 children, supported by two individuals who have built school-houses, and pay all annual expenses, (the children in these Schools attend also on Sundays); in the other three, 35 children are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Read more: Education Provision 1833

Additional information