Wendover - description

1861 description of Wendover from Sheahan

Wendover is an ancient parish and market town - formerly an incorporated borough - situated 5 miles S.W. from Aylesbury; 7 miles S.E. from Tring Railway Station; 11 miles N. from High Wycombe; and 35 miles N.W from London. The area of the town and parish is 5,719 acres, and rateable value of £5,383. Population in 1861, 1932 souls. There are 245 acres of woodland. The soil is principally of clay and Chalk. 

There are no manufactories here of any kind. A small stream running through the lower side of the town turns two flour mills. Some of the females are engaged in lace making, but that trade is dying out. A branch of the Grand Union Canal extends to the town, and passes near a reservoir in the neighbourhood.