The Lee - description

1861 description of The Lee from J.J. Sheahan.

Lee is a small Parish of 500 acres and 116 souls. Its rateable value is £622. The soil is loamy with strong clay; and the surface is level but considerably elevated. The last of the common land was enclosed in 1854. The village is small but interesting and neat - the houses being generally of a good class. About the centre of it is a handsome residence with a campanile tower, and well laid out pleasure grounds and gardens. It is 3 miles S.W. from Wendover. The females are chiefly employed in straw plaiting.

 

Additional information