Great Marlow Pubs (W)

Data provided by Julian Hunt, see Julian Hunt's Local History website.

He gathered the material in preparation for the book Marlow - A Pictorial History and has kindly allowed the Buckinghamshire Family History Society to reproduce it here

 

 


Waterman's Arms

White Hart

White Hart (2)

White Horse


 WATERMAN’S ARMS

1847 Poll Book
H. Neighbour, Waterman, St Peter St, Owner Gibbons
1851 Census Henry Neighbour publican, St Peter's Street
1860 31 Dec Conveyance
(1) Owen Wethered
Lawrence William Wethered of Great Marlow Brewers
(2) Thomas Somers Cocks of Thames Bank Great Marlow Esq
All that piece or parcel of ground with the Messuage or Tenement Counting House outbuildings and warehouse thereon standing and being near to the site of Old Marlow Bridge and commonly called or known by the name of Limbrook formerly in occ of John White afterwards of Henry Neighbour and late of Sydney James Gibbons Schedule includes mortgages by Richard Gibbons of Great Marlow Brewer 1841-



WHITE HART

1671 3 October Bargain & Sale/Feoffment D-CE/M481
1) William Rutledge of Maidenhead, mealman
2) Joane Langlye, widow, and Katherine, Margaret and Dorothy her daughters.
Consideration £15. 15s
2 tenements on north side of Spittle Street, occupied by Robert Tompson and Richard Hickman; - Sam. Taylow, W, Silvester Hubbert, E. And a parcel 1 yard wide taken out of the plot belonging to Rutledge's house, occupied by Hubbert, 1 yard below Wm. Smith's house of office and leading to Gunne Lane, and a pightle on the west side, bounded by Gunne Lane, S.

1676 20 November Release D-CE/M482
Joane Langley, daughter of Joan Langley, widow, to her mother, in respect of the same property.

1710 1 March Release D-CE/M483
1)Katherine and Margaret Langley
2)William Langley, jr.,of Marlow, baker.
Consideration £12.
One of the same tenements, - Richard Tovey (the other house, purchased by him), W, Thomas Davison, E. With the same ground.

1729 19 March Bond in £120. D-CE/M489
1)John Lattimore of Marlow, brewer
2)John Lacye of Maidenhead, hostler, to secure payment of £70

1732 17 January Mortgage for £60 D-CE/M484
The same house, being The White Hart, occupied by Robert Mendey (formerly by K. and M. Langley) and the same land.

1745 14/15 February Lease & Release D-CE/M487-8
1)Langley
2)Mary Lattemore of Marlow, widow.
Consideration £130.
The White Hart and brewhouse, occupied by Menday, - Thomas Taylor west, Robert Howard, east.

1753 Alehouse Recognizances William Monday 1753-1785
1786 Royal Insurance 7253/12/99756 22 Nov. 1786
William Clayton of Harleyford in the Parish of Great Marlow in the County of Bucks Esq
House Tenant William Monday victualler 100

1786 Alehouse Recognizances Sarah Monday 1786-1791
1792 Alehouse Recognizances Thomas Archer 1792-1828
1830 Directory White Hart Thomas Archer Chapel Street
1847 Poll Book
W. Plumridge, White Hart Owner T.P. Williams

1850 Directory White Hart William Plumridge, Chapel Street
1851 Census White Hart Chapel Street
William Plumridge

 

 




WHITE HART (2)

1753 Alehouse Recognizances John Dormer 1756-1761
1761 10 October Counterpart Lease for 21 Years D-CE/M492
1)Mary Lattemore
2)Ralph Rose, jr., of Marlow, brewer.
The Duke's Head on north side of West Street, occupied by Elizabeth Wright, widow.
The White Hart on north side of Chapel End, occupied by John Dormer.
The Anchor in Cookham, occupied by Joseph Charters.
Rent £20. 10s.

1762 23 December Assignment of Term D-CE/M493
1)Mary West of Chepping Wycombe, widow, sole executrix of Robert Fellow of Chepping
Wycombe, gent., at the nomination of William Hoare of Little Marlow, gent, and Giles
Hancocke of Great Marlow, lacebuyer, devisees and executors of Mary Lattimer
2)James Digweed of Marlow, grocer.
The term in D-CE/M484., for 5s. paid by Digweed to West.

1762 On Morrow of Holy Trinity, 3 George 3 Fine (2 parts) D-CE/M494
William Clayton, Esq., plaintiff
William Hoare, Ralph Rose the elder and Mary his wife, and William Allen and Dorothy his wife, defendants.
8 messuages, 8 cottages, 8 gardens, 4a. land, 4a. pasture, and common, in Great Marlow.
(NB. It is not entirely certain that this fine refers to the foregoing deeds.)

1762 Alehouse Recognizances Walter Biddle 1762-1767
1770 Alehouse Recognizances William Cawdrey 1770-1784
1785 Alehouse Recognizances Charles Fletcher 1785-1818
1800 Land Tax
Thomas Williams Esq: Charles Fletcher £3 £0 12 0

1819 Alehouse Recognizances John Dormer 1819-1828
1823 Directory White Hart M Fletcher Chapel Street
1830 Directory White Hart Mary Fletcher Chapel Street
1847 Poll Book T Bowen, White Hart Owner Wethered ????
1864 Directory Flint, Edward James White Hart Chapel Street
1872 Public Houses
White hart over 50 years Edward James Flint Messrs Wethereds
1877 Directory Flint, Ellen (Mrs) White Hart Chapel Street
1897 14 July Auction


WHITE HORSE see also GREYHOUND INN (Spittal Street)

1831 Charity Commissioners
Boothby’s Charity
10s p.a. to be paid out of a house near the Market House, formerly the sign of the White Horse, given by Robert Boothby to ten poor people ever Easter time for ever.
This yearly sum issues out of a dwellinghouse now in the occupation of William Harper and belonging to T.P. Williams Esq. It is situated on the north side of West Street in Great Marlow.



 

Additional information