Description of Addington

Addington - Description in 1861 from Sheahan

Register to read more...

Addington

A small parish 2 miles to the north-west from Winslow Station with a population of 101 in 1921.

Notes about Adstock

Adstock is a parish of 1,130 acres, in 1861, in the hundred of Buckingham. Three miles to the north-west from Winslow and four south-east of Buckingham.

Register to read more...

Akeley

Akeley derives its name from 'Ake', the Anglo-Saxon word for , and 'Ley', a field. In the Domesday Book it is spelled Achelei. Akeley had a church in 1164 and its living came into the possesion Longueville Abbey.

Register to read more...

Memories of Akeley

At the turn of the century, this little village in north Bucks was almost entirely self-supporting. There were two general stores, a butcher, a baker, who was also landlord of the Greyhound, a builder and undertaker, a coal and wood merchant, two cobblers, a tailor and a wheelwright who carried on his trade in the yard of the Bull and Butcher.

Read more: Memories of Akeley