Addington

Introduction

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 1303

Easting & Northing: 474228

Records

 

 Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Addington   St Mary the Virgin   Baptisms   1559   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Addington   St Mary the Virgin   Marriages   1558   1908   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Addington   St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1558   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 SMITH COULSON ADAMS SMITH
2 MEAKES GIBBS SHELTON MEAKES
3 WARD HOGG HUBBARD ADAMS
4 HALL THURLAND WESLEY SHELTON
5 BUSBY SHELTON SIRETT WARD
6 BROWNE STEVENS LINNELL GIBBS
7 WHITE MEAKES MATHISON BUSBY
8 MILLER ADAMS COLTON COULSON
9 EVERSLEY BUSBY HUNT STEVENS
10 ELLARD SMITH GIBBS HOGG

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 93
1811 99
1821 89
1831 72
1841 84
1851 71
1861 111
1871 141
1881 134
1891 100
1901 102
1911 149
1921 100
1931 91
1941 N/A
1951 103
1961 118
1971 87
1981 96
1991 73

There was no census in 1941.

Names

 

NameTypeNote
Addington PARISH St Mary the Virgin
Edintone NAMES name for Addington in Domesday Book in 1086

 

Description

Addington - Description in 1861 from Sheahan

This parish contains 1,320 acres, according to the Parliamentary Returns, and the number of its inhabitants on the 8th of April in the present year (1861), when the census of the population was taken, was 111. Its rateable value is £1,763. The soil is caly and gravel; the greater part of the land pasture. The Oxford branch of the London and North-Western Railway passes through the S.E. side of the parish, occupying thirteen acres.

The village is small and very neat, and is distant from Winslow 2 miles W.N.W., and from Buckingham 5 miles S.E. A noble mansion called Addington Manor was erected here in 1857, by J.G.Hubbard, Esq., from a design by Mr P. Hardwick, architect, London.

 

 

 

 

 

Additional information