Akeley

Akeley derives its name from 'Ake', the Anglo-Saxon word for , and 'Ley', a field. In the Domesday Book it is spelled Achelei. Akeley had a church in 1164 and its living came into the possesion Longueville Abbey.

Register to read more...

Memories of Akeley

At the turn of the century, this little village in north Bucks was almost entirely self-supporting. There were two general stores, a butcher, a baker, who was also landlord of the Greyhound, a builder and undertaker, a coal and wood merchant, two cobblers, a tailor and a wheelwright who carried on his trade in the yard of the Bull and Butcher.

Read more: Memories of Akeley

Education Provision 1833

Akeley Parish (Pop. 291.)

One Daily School, in which 3 boys and 3 girls are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School, consisting of 30 males and 26 females (commenced 1829), supported by Wesleyan Methodists.

Abstract of Education Returns 1833

Notes about Akeley

Akeley is a parish on the road from Buckingham to Towcaster, 3 miles Buckingham station on the Verney Junction and Banbury branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway. In the Buckingham hundred has an area of 1,325 acres and a population of 267 in 1921.