Aston Abbots

Church: St James the Great

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 2198

Easting & Northing: 484220

Grid Ref SP840200 Click to see map

Aston Abbots - Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Aston Abbots PARISH St James the Great
B(e)yrdesthorne NAMES name for Burston in 1539
Birdsthorn NAMES name for Burston in 1563, 1609, 1723
Byrdyston NAMES name for Burston in 1517
Estone NAMES name for Aston in Domesday Book in 1086
Oxlease Farm NAMES name for Oxleys in 1826
Congregational NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1805. Rbuilt 1839. Now two cottages
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1862
Burston, Upper & Lower PLACE within the parish
Oxleys PLACE within the parish

Education Provision 1833

Aston-Abbots Parish (Pop. 303)

Three Daily Schools, wherein 40 children of both sexes are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School, supported by Independent Dissenters, consisting of about 30 children.

Abstract of Education Returns 1833

Notes on Aston Abbots

Aston Abbots is a small village in the Cottesloe hundred with a population of 343 in 1851, 311 in 1861, 327 in 1871 and 264 in 1921.

Register to read more...

Additional information