Fulmer

Nestling between two motorways, the M25 and M40, Fulmer is on the surface the epitome of an English village. It has its winding village street flanked by the village shop and post office, the church, the public house, The Black Horse, and the village hall. There is even a village school which takes children up to eight years old. However, the majority of the people who live in the village do not work there.
There is one farm given over to sheep and intensive egg and pig production, an equestrian centre which also houses a branch of the Riding for the Disabled Association and the Muschamp Stud where German Trakhener horses are bred and a very successful dressage competition is held every year. There are numerous large mansions in and around the village, but these have mostly been turned into flats or in one case become the laboratories of a pharmaceutical research company.

Much of the social life of the village is organised by the Fulmer Family Social Club. In addition to Fulmer Day in June when there are stalls, entertainments, sports and a carnival procession, they also organise other social activities like a Christmas social and the fireworks on November 5th.
The Black Horse is the only public house in the area. It started life as a building hut when the church was built in 1610 and was used for the local petty sessions as early as 1681. The present building has been standing — or sinking as there are no solid foundations — on the site since the late 18th century with additions in 1926 and 1952.

Considering Fulmer's closeness to London it is extremely lucky to be surrounded by beautiful and varied countryside.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission