Calverton

Introduction

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Pottersbury

Size (acres): 2011

Easting & Northing: 479239

Grid Ref SP790390 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Calverton PARISH All Saints
Blacon ffielde NAMES name for Blacon Barn in 1680
Blakon Field NAMES name for Blacon Barn in 1639
Calvretone NAMES name for Calverton in Domesday Book in 1086
Weale NAMES name for Weald in 1766
the Weild NAMES name for Weald in 1626
Independent NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: ?. Recorded in 1851 religious census
Blacon Barn PLACE within the parish
Stony Stratford West PLACE within the parish
Weald PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 321
1811 332
1821 370
1831 425
1841 493
1851 505
1861 595
1871 579
1881 550
1891 658
1901 711
1911 1075
1921 982
1931 N/A
1941 N/A
1951 176
1961 N/A
1971 N/A
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Calverton   All Saints   Baptisms   1559   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Calverton   All Saints   Marriages   1559   1836   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Calverton   All Saints   Burials   1559   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 MILLER CAVES TUCKER TUCKER
2 GODFREY HICKS TAYLOR TAYLOR
3 CAVES CLARKE TOMKINS CAVES
4 WATKINS TUCKER BULL SMITH
5 ROSE CLARK ROBERTS TOMKINS
6 SWAINE KING READ CLARKE
7 SMITH SMITH HAYNES BULL
8 KNIGHT WRIGHT SMITH ROBERTS
9 ROOKES POULTER TOMPKINS READ
10 NEWMAN FRENCH DOWNING HICKS

 

Description

Description of Calverton from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

 Calverton contains 1,980 acres and 595 inhabitants. The parish once included the western part of Stony Stratford, which was separated from it by Act of Parliament. Both the surface and the soil are considerably varied, but the latter is chiefly clayey, with limestone and rubble. The limestone abounds with numerous fossil shells, and is quarried for burning into lime for building purposes. The river Ouse skirts the parish on the west, dividing it from Northamptonshire. The rateable value of the of the parish is £2,886.

Calverton adjoins Stony Stratford on the south, the parish church being distant from that town about 1.5 miles to the south. It is in four parts called Calverton End (now a suburb of the town of Stony Stratford), Upper Weald, Lower Weald, and Middle Weald. At Middle Weald are several neat cottages for labourers, in the Gothic style, erected in groups of three each, with stone-cased doorways and windows. The other cottages, as well as the farm-houses in the parish, are mostly mean in appearance, and covered with thatch, except at Calverton End. From Upper Weald the views of the surrounding country are varied and beautiful. The parish of Calverton, and the west side of Stony Stratford were enclosed in 1782.

Education

Calverton Parish (Pop. 425)

One Sunday School, in which 20 children of both sexes are instructed; supported by the clergyman of the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

 

 

Additional information