Cheddington

Cheddington of the early 1920s was a very different village from that of today. Then it was a very rural community comprised of not more than 200 houses. The largest of these were the Rectory, Manor House, White House and the farms. There were very few detached houses and the rest were terraced cottages. The 3 pubs at present in the village were supplemented by The Old Inn where beer only was sold.

Read more: Cheddington

Memories of Cheddington

Local words
Hommocks along: walks in heavy boots with lumps of mud attached
Clapered: very dirty, muddy
Thragged: loaded
Sawny or gallus: stupid
Ceach: scoop of water
Sotchel along: walk along dragging the feet
Spraggle about: walk awkwardly
Lichup: lazy or walk slowly
Pottle measure: round measure for small apples, onions

Hare coursing used to take place regularly along the Mentmore road and also pigeon and rook shooting.

Before a hearse came into common use, coffins ere placed on a wooden bier and pulled along the Church Path to the church. The bier was kept in a shed near the Church Lane allotments, along with a bath chair for any parishioners in need of one.

Farmers used to go round the Lynces at night with lights and nets to throw over the bushes to trap the sparrows that did so much damage to crops. They eere paid so much for every sparrow caught and had annual Sparrow Club Dinner at Tring.

Dora McGuire, Cheddington



Extracted from 'A Pattern Hundreds' (1975) and reproduced with the kind permission of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes

Education Provision 1833

Cheddington Parish (Pop. 375)

One Daily School, in which are 6 males.

One Sunday School, with 45 children of both sexes; supported by voluntary contributions, and commenced since 1818.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Notes on Cheddington

Description of Cheddington from Sheahan, 1861

Register to read more...