Chesham Bois

The earliest that is known about Chesham Bois is that a prehistoric trade route came down from Ley Hill, across the river Chess and up Hollow Way Lane, continuing to Amersham, Penn and eventually the south coast. Ancient tracks such as this were marked at frequent intervals by stone boulders and locally the distinctive puddingstone, a mass of pebbles in a stone-like matrix, was used. Many of these stones can still be seen lining the drive from Bois Lane to the church.

Read more: Chesham Bois

Education Provision 1833

Chesham-Bois Parish (Pop. 157)

One Daily School, containing 22 children of both sexes (commenced 1831), who are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School (commenced 1831), in which about 36 receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Notes on Chesham Bois

Description of Chesham Bois from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

Register to read more...

Additional information