Thornborough has been a farming community since before the Domesday Book, where it is recorded that in the manor there was land for 11 ploughs, or oxen teams, and a meadow for 4 ploughs. Thornborough parish had two large fields, East or Thornton Field, and West or Padbury Field, divided into strips or furlongs which were a unit of tenure. About 1325 a third field was carved out of these and called Mill Field. This gave a two-year crop rotation for the villagers, followed by a fallow or rest year.

Read more: Thornborough

Notes on Thornborough

Description of Thornborough, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Register to

Education Provision 1833

Thornborough Parish (Pop. 673)

Two small Daily Schools, in which 7 boys and 5 girls are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Three Sunday Schools, one with 35 males and 20 females, who attend the Established Church; another consists of 10 males and 20 females, attached to Wesleyan Methodists; the other (commenced 1826), of 17 males and 17 females, to Independent Dissenters, all supported by voluntary contributions.


Additional information