Clifton Reynes

Introduction

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1454

Easting & Northing: 490251

Grid Ref SP900510 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Clifton Reynes PARISH St Mary the Virgin
Cliftone NAMES name for Clifton Reynes in Domesday Book in 1086
Clistone NAMES name for Clifton Reynes in Domesday Book in 1086
Clystone NAMES name for Clifton Reynes in Domesday Book in 1086
Petsoe End PLACE within the parish

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 221
1811 238
1821 230
1831 246
1841 213
1851 217
1861 212
1871 216
1881 203
1891 170
1901 122
1911 135
1921 120
1931 104
1941 N/A
1951 102
1961 96
1971 107
1981 120
1991 122

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Clifton Reynes   St Mary the Virgin   Baptisms   1653   1912   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Clifton Reynes   St Mary the Virgin   Marriages   1576   1916   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Clifton Reynes   St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1653   1920   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 VESSEY JONES OSBORN OSBORN
2 STUBBS SMITH CLARE SMITH
3 GALE SWAIN BRANSON JONES
4 KNIGHT SHARP WRIGHT CLARE
5 HODDLE FREEMAN HAWKINS SHARP
6 ROSE GALE TIMPSON HAWKINS
7 SWAINE PEARSON COOPER WRIGHT
8 COOPER REDGROVE WEST SWAIN
9 BENSON HAWKINS COTTON BRANSON
10 PARISH UNDERWOOD OSBORNE GALE

 

Description

Description of Clifton Reynes from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 Area, 1,444 acres; population 217 souls. The river Ouse divides the parish from Olney, Lavendon, and Bradfield. The place derives its name from the hill and cliff on the eastern bank of the river on which it stands; and it acquired the distinctive affix of Reynes, from a family by which the manor was formerly possessed. The soil is chiefly a deep clay, but mixed with gravel near the river. Extraneous fossils are found in a stratum of limestone, and shells of various kinds.

The village, which is small and compact, stands on an eminence over-looking the Ouse, and the town of Olney. It is distant 1.5 mile E. by S. from Olney, and 5 miles N.N.W. from Newport Pagnell. The views from this place are remarkably pleasing. That part of the parish which belonged to the principle manor, was at a very remote and unknown period; and the remainder continued in open-field culture until 1822, when an Act of Parliament was passed for its inclosure.

Education

Clifton-Reynes Parish (Pop. 246)

One Sunday School (commenced 1827), with 20 males and 19 females, supported by contributions

There is a National School adjacent, available to the children of this parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

 

 

 

Additional information