Stowe

Introduction

Church: The Assumption of St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 3304

Easting & Northing: 467237

Grid Ref SP670370 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Stowe PARISH The Assumption of St Mary the Virgin
Dodford NAMES name for Dadford in 1540
Landport NAMES name for Lamport in Domesday Book in 1086
Lanport NAMES name for Lamport in Domesday Book in 1086
Stou NAMES name for Stowe in Domesday Book in 1086
Boycott PLACE within the parish
Dadford PLACE within the parish
Lamport PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 327
1811 395
1821 478
1831 500
1841 415
1851 359
1861 370
1871 375
1881 346
1891 318
1901 252
1911 258
1921 193
1931 308
1941 N/A
1951 315
1961 324
1971 979
1981 313
1991 867

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Stowe   The Assumption of SMV   Baptisms   1569   1879   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stowe   The Assumption of St Mary the Virgin   Marriages   1570   1837   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stowe   The Assumption of St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1813   1903   Not available   Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stowe   The Assumption of St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1695   1812   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stowe   The Assumption of St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1570   1791   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 KEY GEORGE VARNEY VARNEY
2 SPATCHER BENNETT ALDERMAN ALDERMAN
3 GOODMAN SMITH HOLLAND BENNETT
4 JEFFES LANGTON BENNETT HOLLAND
5 HICKMAN TURPIN STOKES GEORGE
6 GLOVER HOLLAND SAXBY STOKES
7 DAYRELL DAYRELL HARRIS TURPIN
8 DAIRELL SPATCHER WILKINS HARRIS
9 CLARE VARNEY NEWMAN SAXBY
10 BUTLER KING TURPIN NEWMAN

 

Description

Description of Stowe, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Stowe, with its hamlets of Boycott, Dadford, and Lamport, contains 2,610 acres; and 351 inhabitants. Rateable value £3,494. The signifies a strand, station or eminence – the latter term being descriptive of the locality. There is now no village, but the mansion and church are distant 2.5 miles N.W. of Buckingham. In 1712 there was a village of 31 houses, but their sites have been completely merged in the gardens and demesnes of Stowe House.

Boycott Hamlet – This hamlet, which is situated one mile S.W. from Stowe and 4 miles N.W. from Buckingham, consists of the Manor House, the residence of Charles Higgins, Esq. (the owner of the estate), a farm house and three cottages. Boycott was once a populous village and contained a Chapel of Ease, but the place having become depopulated and included in the grounds of Stowe House, the chapel has long since been swept away, and its site passed into oblivion. According to the Luffield Register this chapel was dedicated to St. John the Baptist.

Boycott Manor House has been re-erected by Mr. Higgins, and is a handsome residence in the Elizabethan style of architecture. It stands on an eminence about 400 yards from the old house, and is built of red brisk with Bath stone dressings. The gardens and terraces occupy about two acres.

The hamlet of Dadford or Dodford lies in a hollow, and consists of a farm house and a few neat cottages. The School, erected here in 1843, is a neat brick building.

Lamport Hamlet – Lamport or Langport was formerly in two parts, one of which belonged to Oseney Abbey, the other to Luffield Priory. So early as the year 1350, the Priory estate was held by a family that took their name from the hamlet; and in 1416 it passed in marriage to the Dayrells, who resided here in a castellated mansion. Edmund Dayrell, Esq., a retired lawyer, and an estimable character, died here in 1740. The Oseney Abbey lands have passed with Stowe.

The Rev. J.L. Dayrell, who died in 1832, left £100 to the poor of Stowe parish.

 

Notes

Dadford

Dadford is a very small village, surrounded by large areas of farmland. To the north we have the famous Silverstone Motor Racing Circuit which has approximately 2/3rds of its area in Bucks and was the the R.A.F. home for Wellingtons in the Second World War.


The well known public school of Stowe is on our doorstep. Set in the lovely grounds, landscaped originally by Capability Brown, it was the home for former Dukes of Buckingham and rumour has it that one Duke decided the village of Dadford should be moved from Stowe to its present position, but the church had to remain in the grounds and so we became part of the parish of Stowe and our church is still there. There are no shops in the village nor do we have a pub, but our Village hall was the old village school and the building was given to the village by the Close-Smith family who for many years owned Boycott Manor.

At the end of the picturesque Stowe Avenue leading out of Buckingham is the small hamlet of Chackmore. As the church is at Radclive the parish becomes Radclive and Chackmore. Chackmore itself, like Dadford, has not expanded very quickly but it does boast a pub. The old school was purchased a few years ago and is now the Parish Hall. The Annual Horticultural Show is an event of long tradition, but moved a few years ago from the centre of the village to a site near the Corinthian Arch at Stowe.

Dadford and the surrounding area may be an ideal sleepy location often dreamed about by townsfolk and it is to be hoped that the rolling countryside may continue to survive amongst the increasing demands of the enormous concrete city of Milton Keynes not very far away.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

 

Education

Stowe Parish (Pop. 490)

One Day and Sunday School, in which 50 children of both sexes are educated, provided with breakfast and dinner on Sundays, and annually clothed at the sole expenses of her Grace the Duchess of Buckingham and Chandos.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.
 

Additional information