Eton

Introduction

Eton Parish

Church: St John the Evangelist

Hundred: Stoke

Poor Law District: Eton

Size (acres): 786

Easting & Northing: 496177

Grid Ref SU960770 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Eton PARISH St John the Evangelist
Bovenie NAMES name for Boveney in Domesday Book in 1086
Brockess NAMES name for The Brocas in 1569
Eaton NAMES name for Eton in 1546
Ettone NAMES name for Eton in Domesday Book in 1086
Independent NON-CONFORMIST Eton Wick. First Mentioned: c1800
Barnes Pool Bridge PLACE within the parish
Bell Farm PLACE North of Eton Wick
Boveney PLACE St Mary Magalene church
Colenorton Brook PLACE within the parish
Eton College PLACE school in parish
Eton Wick PLACE St John the Baptist built 1867
Eton Wick PLACE Village in parish of Eton
South Field PLACE within the parish
The Brocas PLACE within the parish
Tilson Bridge PLACE within the parish
Timbralls PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 2026
1811 2279
1821 2475
1831 3232
1841 3609
1851 3796
1861 3122
1871 3261
1881 3984
1891 2955
1901 3666
1911 3714
1921 3893
1931 2511
1941 N/A
1951 3247
1961 3894
1971 3956
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Eton   St John Evang, St John Bapt & Sch Chapel   Baptisms   1598   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Eton   St John Evang, St John Bapt & Sch Chapel   Marriages   1604   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Eton   St John Evang, St John Bapt & Sch Chapel   Burials   1603   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

}

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 BELL SMITH SMITH SMITH
2 JOHNSON ATKINS BROWN BROWN
3 SMITH CARTER TAYLOR CARTER
4 BUTLER WILLIAMS STEVENS STEVENS
5 WEST WEBB WHITE WHITE
6 CUTLER PIPER CANNON ATKINS
7 COX CUTLER CARTER TAYLOR
8 WOODWARD WHITE COX WILLIAMS
9 SEXTON STEVENS GRAY COX
10 ALDRIDGE ROBERTS DAVIS CANNON

 

Description

Description of Eton from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

Eton is separated from Windsor by the Thames. Area 783 acres; population 3,122 (exclusive of above 800 boys of the College); rateable value £10,915. The place is situated half a mile north of Windsor, 1.5 mile S. from Slough, and 23 miles W. by S. from London. The town consists of one long street, well paved and lighted, under the superentendence of a Local Board of Health, established in 1848. The houses are in general well and neatly built; and there are mainly boarding houses for students, the keepers or proprietors of which are called prescriptively "Domine" or "Dame" according to their sex. The river is crossed by a neat iron bridge placed upon stone piers. Petty Sessions are held here every alternate Friday.

The College. Eton is chiefly distinguished for its great College, which ever since its foundation, has held the first position amongst the public schools in England. This famous seat of learning was founded by King Henry VI., for the support and education of poor indigent boys intended for the church, and rge celebrated William of Wykeham originated the plan of it. The foundation charter was dated at Windsor 12th Sept., 1441, arrangements having been previously made with the Bishop of Lincoln, for the appropriation of the church of Eton to the intended college; and the first stone of the college was laid in the foundation of the chapel in July, 1441.

Boverney

Description of Boverney, J. J. Sheahan, 1861

Boverney is termed a Liberty, and contains 480 acres, and 152 souls. The hamlet is small, and situated 2 miles west from Eton, and three miles south from Burnham village on the banks of the Thames. Boverney seems to have formerly included West Town, and in the reign of King Henry VIII to have been a separate manor belonging to the family of Paule, of Braywick, anciently the estate of Sir Reginald Bray. It afterwards came to the families of Lovelace, Dayrell, Villiers and Eyres. The liberty now belongs to Robert Harvey, Esq., Edward Evans Esq., and the Rev. Henry Palmer.

There is an ancient Chapel of Ease served from Eton College, by arrangement with the Vicar of Burnham. It is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen, and consists of a nave and chancel under one roof, with a modern bell-turret at the west end. The edifice has been modernised. An Act of Parliament passed in 1737, for making Boverney a distinct living, but the want of a sufficient endowment prevented it from taking effect.

Other notes.

In 1911 the chapelry was transferred from the parish of Burnham to the parish of Eton. The church is now managed by a charity.  

 

Education

Eton Parish (Pop. 3,232)

Five Daily Schools,

One whereof is endowed for 60 males and 30 females, by Mark Antony Porney; the master's salary is £59 per annum, with the privilege of taking extra scholars, of which he has 20, who are paid for by their parents; mistress's salary, £38 per annum, with the like privilege. At present she has 12 females, paid for by their parents. A house is also provided for the master and mistress, and when vacancies occur in the foundation, children are invariably chosen from the Sunday School.

The other four contain 28 males and 55 females, who are instructed at the expense of their parents.

N.B. The Collegiate School founded by King Henry VI. for 70 scholars, is not included in the above.

One Sunday School, wherein 62 males and 17 females, receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Additional information