Fawley

Introduction

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Desborough

Poor Law District: Wycombe

Size (acres): 2213

Easting & Northing: 475186

Grid Ref SU750860 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Fawley PARISH St Mary the Virgin
Ffawlwy NAMES name for Fawley in 1639
Benhams PLACE within the parish
Bosmore PLACE within the parish
Oxey Grove PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 181
1811 189
1821 276
1831 254
1841 280
1851 254
1861 272
1871 289
1881 302
1891 266
1901 235
1911 218
1921 217
1931 209
1941 N/A
1951 215
1961 382
1971 378
1981 371
1991 232

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Fawley   St Mary the Virgin   Baptisms   1577   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Fawley   St Mary the Virgin   Marriages   1607   1836   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Fawley   St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1588   1836   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 HEATH HARMAN HARMAN HARMAN
2 SHARPE HEATH HEATH HEATH
3 KITSON RANDALL SHARP SHARP
4 CARPENTER SHARP GOULDER RANDALL
5 HOUSE DREW RIXON WEBB
6 WHITELOCKE WEBB JOHNSON SHARPE
7 RANDALL SANDERS HARRIS KITSON
8 WINTER DOBSON MACKENZIE DREW
9 WEBB HOUSE VARNEY DOBSON
10 RYDER RIGGS TURNER SANDERS

 

Description

Description of Fawley from Sheahan, 1861.

This parish forms the extreme S.W. angle of Bucks, and is bounded on the E. by the Thames, and on the S. and W. by Oxfordshire. The boundary line between Bucks and Oxon passes through the lawn of Fawley Court. Area, 2,216 acres; population, 272. The village is much scattered; the Church stands 3 miles N. by W. from Henley-upon Thames, and 8 miles W. from Great Marlow.

Fawley Court is a handsome and spacious mansion, erected in 1684, from a design by Sir Christopher Wren. It occupies an elevated site overlooking the Thames, about a mile from Henley, and is surrounded by a park of 250 acres, well planted, and terminated by undulating hills, part clothed in beach.

Education

Fawley Parish (Pop. 254)

One Daily School (commenced 1833), in which about 30 children are instructed at the expense of their parents;

One Sunday School, wherein 50 receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Additional information