Wraysbury

Introduction

Church: St Andrew

Hundred: Stoke

Poor Law District: Eton

Size (acres): 1679

Easting & Northing: 500174

Grid Ref TQ000740 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Wraysbury PARISH St Andrew
Wirecesberie NAMES name for Wraysbury in Domesday Book in 1086
Wrethesbury NAMES name for Wraysbury in 1546
Wyrardisbury NAMES name for Wraysbury in 1925
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Providence Chapel. First Mentioned: 1830. Rebuilt 1868
Ankerwyke PLACE within the parish
Remenham House PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 616
1811 560
1821 520
1831 682
1841 672
1851 701
1861 735
1871 731
1881 658
1891 660
1901 779
1911 956
1921 1286
1931 2093
1941 N/A
1951 3228
1961 3372
1971 3303
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Wraysbury   St Andrew   Baptisms   1576   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Wraysbury   St Andrew   Marriages   1576   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Wraysbury   St Andrew   Burials   1576   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 NEWE CHILD CLARK CLARK
2 MOORE PERKINS COLLINS BUCKLAND
3 WARDEN GODMAN BUCKLAND TAYLOR
4 GRACE MILLS TAYLOR MILLS
5 CHILD WEST BRADLEY DAY
6 MARTIN STYLE JACKSON THOMAS
7 HARRIS SMITH THOMAS COLLINS
8 DAY CROWDER WATMORE PERKINS
9 GREENE DAY SUCH MARTIN
10 PERKINS TAYLOR MILLS CHILD

 

Description

The most southerly parish in the county, includes Ankerwyke and Magna Carta Island and bordered by the Thames to the south. The nearest market town being Staines in Middlesex to the east.

From Sheahan, 1861

The parish of Wyrardisbury pronounced "Wraysbury" contains 1,656 acres and 735 inhabitants; and forms the extreme southern point of Buckinghamshire. The village is mean looking and scattered, and distant 3 miles S.W. by S from Colnbrook. Here is a large paper-mill.

Education

Wyrardisbury, or Wraysbury Parish (Pop. 682)

One Daily School, in which 5 males and 9 females are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Day and Sunday School, of the Established Church, attended by 9 males and 20 females daily, and 14 males and 30 females on Sundays.

One Sunday School (commenced 1827), consisting of 14 males and 26 females of the Baptist denomination. The two last Schools are supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Additional information