Westcott was a small village in the middle of farming land until the beginning of the Second World War, when a large area to the west was taken over by the Air Ministry for use as an airfield and bomber training unit. Some of the gallant men who flew from here and died on active service are buried in the little village churchyard. After the war, the R.A.F. left and since then the establishment has been used for the development of rocket propulsion. The residents of the village have become accustomed to the occasional bang or roar as a rocket engine is fired. It has now been taken over by the Royal Ordnance Factory.

Read more: Westcott

Education Provision 1833

Westcott Hamlet (Pop. 242)-

Two Daily Schools, in which 7 males and 20 females are instructed at the expense of their parents;

One Sunday School (commenced 1819), in which 32 males and 36 females receive gratuitous instruction; this School appertains to Baptists.


Read more: Education Provision 1833

Additional information