Winslow

The Mercian King Offa had a palace and chapel in Winslow, and he conceived the idea of founding a monastery and endowing it to the Manor of Winslow. The Domesday Survey of 1086 notes Wineslai as part of the possession of St Albans Abbey, with the Abbot as Lord of the Manor. In 1235 King Henry III authorised a weekly market, and a fair on the feast day of St Lawrence on the 10th August, for which he granted a charter.

Read more: Winslow

Education Provision 1833

Winslow Parish (Pop. 1,290)

One Daily School, endowed with property amounting to 30/. per annum.   In this School, 12 males receive gratuitous instruction, and 8 others pay a small sum weekly.

Read more: Education Provision 1833

Additional information